You can start the migration of mission critical applications with a Proof-of-Value (POV) pilot environment. With cloud, the advantages of a POV are two-fold: first, firstly, agility and speed of deployment (no equipment procurement lead time and cost, no borrowing or re-purposing of equipment) and, secondly, early engagement with the line-of-business.
However, the application migration process needs to be planned carefully. For example, before you get started with your migration process, a proper backup environment needs to be configured.
1. Employ a Disaster Recovery method
– Build a Disaster Recovery environment on the target cloud platform
– Perform a mock switch-over test
– If results from the previous step are satisfactory, complete the switch over process
– Continue in-house application as a Disaster Recovery environment
– Build a new Disaster Recovery environment using another cloud environment and then retire the
2. Build a parallel production environment
– Build a parallel environment for applications on the target cloud platform
– Perform data migration and ensure a proper data replication method
– Migrate non-critical user base to the cloud environment
– Migration of the remaining user base to the cloud environment
– Retire the in-house business application
The first approach is recommended when migration of end-users in phases is not feasible. For the second approach, a proven data replication method will be crucial.
The total time-to-value for cloud migration for some organization has been as little as a few weeks. For most enterprises, the question about migration to the cloud is becoming more of “when and how” the migration should be made rather than “if” the migration should be made. If you are responsible for your organization’s IT infrastructure, we would recommend that, as a first step, prepare a cloud roadmap using the framework we’ve provided in these five blog posts.
Julian is the Marketing Director at Apps Associates and is responsible for developing and implementing the marketing strategy. Julian has a broad background in IT services marketing, communications, internet marketing, and sales support and has delivered successful marketing campaigns across the globe. Prior to joining Apps Associates, Julian held senior positions in Fortune 500 companies like Xerox and EMC Corporation.